Saturday, September 12, 2009

My First Post - I. Am. An. American.

Hey Everyone. I'm Kris Savage, I'm 22, and have lived in Independence, Mo for most of my life. I have a beautiful wife, Layna, and wonderful daughter, Chloe.

Normally, I'm not very active in politics. Normally I'm not very outspoken, usually I just listen, and create my own thoughts in my mind. However, lately I've felt the need to express what I believe to be the truth. I feel that if I don't start expressing what is going on in my mind, my head will explode. So I've created this blog. My first post, I'm going to copy and paste from a note that I typed last night on Facebook. I want people to read this, and respond. I just ask that you refrain from using any type of profanity in your comments. It is unnecessary, and I will delete any that contain it. I'm also not saying that I'm always right. This is to start a conversation.

Anyway, here's the note I posted on my Facebook last night:

Hey everyone, if you don't want to hear me ramble for awhile, then stop now. Just a fair warning. Maybe I should create a disclaimer. Eh... nah.

Eight years ago today was the biggest slaughter of American lives in history. I'm sure all of you remember where you were, and how you felt when it happened. I do. I will never forget it either. So surreal. An attack, on America, the greatest nation in the world. It couldn't be real. It had to be someone's sick joke. Unfortunately it wasn't.

How about this though: Do you remember what it was like the day after? How about the week after? The month? I do. The country was united. United against an evil that none of us could understand. I remember that there were far fewer robberies, and murders, and such. I remember a country standing for freedom. A country whose state-boundaries disappeared. We weren't 50 states, we were a nation. One nation, under God, indivisible, indestructible, with liberty and justice for all.

What's happened to that? Now we have a major line, right down the middle of our country. I don't care if you're liberal, conservative, or whatever. Why are we letting the government put into more projects, more bills, more plans, more control into our lives? This country declared it's independence from a country whose government had too much control. Americans have worked hard since the founding of this great country to keep their lives their own; to try to live the American dream of using their own blood, sweat, and tears to succeed. Our grandparents, and great-grandparents, and so on, would never have dreamed to have the government spend taxpayer money to make their lives easier. They would be ashamed of us for expecting as much. They didn't need health care, or bailouts, or any of the things that are being shoved down our throats today. They made it because of a desire to do better for their children, and grandchildren.

Yes, people will fail. It's a sad part of life. However, you can't expect to always have someone get you out of a mess you get yourself in. Whatever happened to the term "American Ingenuity"? Are we now going to say, "Good ole' government ingenuity?"

This note isn't about your opinions on things such as abortion, gay marriage, the war, George Bush, Barack Obama, or whatever. This is wondering why you're not worried about your freedom.

We have the greatest constitution in the world. Why are we ignoring it? Why are we allowing 32 czars to be around the president, none of which have been approved by the senate, all of which answer only to the president, all of which are getting paid with taxpayer money, some of who have very radical ideas, that are nowhere near in line with the American people. None of them have to answer to the people whose money is paying their salary.

What has happened? Where is our country headed, because I don't know about you, but I don't like it.

9/11/09. Eight years since the last time this country really came together as one. It's time we did that again.

There is a march on Washington happening tomorrow. Tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people are expected to show up. Not just republicans, but democrats and independents as well. Joining together to stand up to the people in Washington who are so out of touch with what the people of this great country really want. They'll probably be called "tea-baggers", "Nazis", "un-American", or many other despicable names by those trying to push themselves into more power. Well, if I could, I would be there. You can call me whatever name you want to, but it's not going to bother me. I am an American.

I. Am. An. American.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Kris! The principle of self-determination seems to never come up with all these politicians. Every law they enact has unintended consequences. There is not limit to all the "good" government can do as long as we hand over to it our freedom. Next thing you know, they'll be telling us what we can and cannot eat... Oh wait, they've already tried that.

    Government is only there to guarantee our freedoms, not for social engineering. The minute they use force to make people "be good" is when they instantly create more, many more, problems than they solve. Just wait and see when the government fully takes over healthcare. An essential part of our freedom is the freedom to fail. If government is always there to "protect" us and wipe our butts for us, we will never truly be free and happy. (Kind of like living with your parents your whole life.) If our healthcare system is so bad why aren't people flooding up to Canada and Europe to take advantage of their "superior" system? Instead they're flooding down here.

    Oh well, that's my rant for the day.

    ReplyDelete